19 Aug Useful Advice on Facebook Competition Rules
Have you or someone you know ever run a Facebook advert?
Facebook is the world’s biggest social network, boasting an incredible number of users in excess of 2 billion. Due to this, Facebook can be utilised as a powerful advertising tool. However, it is important to remember that Facebook has some strict guidelines when it comes to trying to increase your followers – which aren’t always clear. We will be outlining some clear ‘DOs and DON’Ts’, so that you can ensure that you are complying with Facebooks competition policies.
Why would you want to run a competition?
Competitions are a fantastic way to increase page likes and boost engagement in a fun and positive way. It is also a great opportunity to give something back to customers for their loyalty. Everyone loves a competition!
Things you CAN do:
• Ask people to enter a competition by liking a post.
• Ask people to enter a competition by commenting on a post.
• Ask people enter a competition by messaging a page.
• Ask people to enter a competition by posting on a page.
• Ask people to enter a competition by clicking through to an entry form on your website.
Things you CAN’T do:
• Ask people to enter a competition by sharing a post to their own/someone else’s timeline.
• Ask people to enter a competition by “Liking and Sharing”.
• Ask people to enter a competition by tagging a friend in the comments.
• Ask people to enter a competition by liking a page.
Some tips to get the most out of a competition:
• Using keywords is a great way to draw your audience’s attention and make them FOCUS on key points. GIVEAWAY, COMPETITION, PRIZE and WIN are a few common examples.
• Make sure that your post includes all the competition details. This is really important as it is crucial that the audience knows what the competition is about and crucially how to enter.
• Keep competition posts simple and to the point. Nobody wants to spend ages reading when they are scrolling through their timeline – so keep it short and sweet! Images are a fantastic way to do this whilst bringing attention to the post.
Some more Terms and Conditions:
• Items that have age restrictions (e.g. Alcohol and Tobacco) must be regulated and clearly shown.
• There must be a clear acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or in association with Facebook.
• There can not be false, misleading, deceptive or fraudulent claims or content.
• The terms and conditions of the competition must be clearly displayed. For example:
What the prize is, closing time and date, any restrictions, how to enter, how the winner is decided, when is the winner announced and how the winner will be announced.